Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Easter Egg Hunt- AKA Parent Brawl

I took Kai and Natalie to the city Easter egg hunt for the first time this year, and we may never do it again. They both had fun and got a small prize, but I was blown away by the "adult" behavior! 

I was there by myself, Kai and Natalie were on two different fields, so I stuck with Natalie, camera in hand. Over the load speakers were warnings every minute, "parents, please stay off the field. Only 4 eggs per child." So I put on my long lens expecting to get some good shots of Natalie, drilled her on 4 eggs, and only 4 eggs.

Then the buzzer sounded, I was the only parent left standing on the sidelines!! SO much for my great pictures. I had to move out a little to try and get a shot. After Natalie had her eggs, I sat by her and helped her toss the extras back (She had about 7) when I noticed grown adults sweeping as many eggs as they could into their kid's baskets! 

I went and found Kai, opened their eggs. Kai had a prize slip so we headed over to the beastly crowd waiting for their prizes. I saw kids holding bags of eggs, parents with 10 prize slips in their hands, with one child standing with them! So I asked one such family for an extra ticket so I could just get Kai and Natalie a gift. 

I'll re-evaluate next year, maybe we'll hold our own neighborhood hunt. How are our kids supposed to learn respect if so many adults can't follow a few simple requests?!

Anyway, Here's Natalie running off (In the pink coat).


Natalie again, checking her eggs and searching for me in the crowd.


I missed all of Kai's chase, so I got a picture of him afterward. I don't know where he put his basket. Kai was one lucky egg picker, he scored $3.00 and a prize ticket!




2 comments:

Stephen and Debbie said...

How annoying. I would have been so bugged and Debbie would have yelled at everyone. Sorry it was so disappointing.

MDrake said...

This is the first time I read this post. Isn't it AMAZING how people think nothing nowadays of NOT following directions. Now you know why I think it is time for me to hang up my teaching shingle. No wonder kids can't follow directions anymore!