Thursday, January 29, 2009

Beautiful Curls



Since I have finally mastered my head of curls (after 29 yrs) I thought I would share my secret with everyone! Anyone with thick hair and a slight wave can do this, I promise! My hair isn't actually that curly on it's own, if I just let it dry and do nothing to it, I end up with a full head of frizz and a few waves! ; )  (Sorry for the bad pictures, my cell phone distorts and blurs everything!)

How to do curly hair:
1. Fresh out of the shower (curls need to be washed everyday and re-done) comb with a wide-tooth comb. Part your hair now if you want it parted.
2. Flip your head up-side down and gently scrunch curls in a towel to get some moisture out. You still want your hair pretty wet. 
3.  Use a curling cream, gel or mousse and apply to hair. I like: Sun n' Silk cream and mousse.
4. Blow dry with head up-side down with a diffuser (looks like a ray gun or something) just until you start getting some fly-aways. Be sure to move the dryer to different areas frequently.
5. Spray with a curling spray gel. I like Aussie's sprunch spray or TRESemme's curl spray gel.
6. Continue drying, your hair will get dry and be crunchy, keep drying a few more minutes and you will end up with soft, luscious curls that last all day!

Other things that help:
Go to a stylist that knows what they are doing! If you have thick hair it is good to get it "thinned" so that you don't look like a poodle. Also, layers are your friend! And, you can't add too much texture either! With layers and texture your hair will lay nicely. 
Good Luck!

4 comments:

Liz said...

Wow Evelyn! Thank you for this. I used to have semi-curly hair back in the day (i.e. before kids) but it just frizzes now. I'm going to try this because it was always so easy styling my curls as opposed to blow drying and flat ironing. Ugh.

Kimberly said...

You are so awesome. I have been struggling with my hair (which matches exactly what you described) for my whole life. I am going to buy myself some new products and try it out.

napnotes said...

This is just what I needed. I am queen of the frizz these days.

Patti said...

Where's the pictures of your cute hairdo? And, now I am ready for tips for the staight as sticks, thin hair lady? Cute handbags on the other entry, by the way...